Skip to main content

Reflective Journal - Week 8

This week we were able to talk about the future of nursing.  We watched an interesting TED Talk on where the future of nursing is heading, as well as some of the goals for the future.

The TED Talk discussed the future of nursing heading towards an increased focus on leadership, as well as understanding and educating the community on the value of nurses.

Some of the goals that I pulled from the talk included:


  • Ensure that nurses are used to their full capacity
  • Become lifelong learners - obtain a graduate education
  • Leadership in practice, research, education, administration, and service
  • Educate the public about the value of nursing
I'm just going to briefly focus on each one of these, including my thoughts on each goal.

Ensure that nurses are used to their full capacity.

So I both agree and disagree with this goal.  While I do feel that nurses are often under utilized and could definitely be put to better use, I am not sure how I feel about nurse practitioners.  This is something that was mentioned a lot, both in the lecture, as well as in our team's discussion for the week.  I think that putting nurse practitioners on the same level as physicians is... scary?  I don't know, it's not that I don't trusts nurses or NPs.  But physicians go to med school for a reason, and to give NPs the same power as physicians, I don't know.  It feels like cheating to me.  Maybe I just don't know how intensive NP school is.  Honestly, I don't.  Maybe the overall training that NPs receive is comparable to med school, just that they achieve it through a different pathway.  I think this is something I would have to actually take the time to educate myself on before I can form a solid opinion of.

Become lifelong learners - obtain a graduate education.

Well, there are already a bunch of hospitals that are making the push for ALL nurses to have their Bachelors degree by (I believe) 2020.  I am not sure I agree with this goal either.  Most of what we are learning in the Bachelors program has to do with things like leadership and management and research.  None of those things really interest me, so if it weren't required of me, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it... That's not to say that I disagree with the idea of lifelong learning.  I think that it is definitely important that nurses are lifelong learners.  That's what's so great about nursing:  there is always more to learn.  I think the problem is that there isn't always a degree attached to what you are learning, so it can seem like a nurse who only has an Associates degree might not know as much as a nurse with a Bachelors degree, when in reality, the ASN nurse might have 40 years of experience, which the BSN nurse might be a brand new grad who has never worked a nursing job before.

Leadership in practice, research, education, administration, and service.

I know this is a leadership class... but I don't really have a desire to become a leader.  Wow.  Maybe I am just really unmotivated?  I don't know, I'm not saying I will never become a leader, but I'm also not planning to actively seek out a leadership role.  I'm currently happy with where I am in life.  I don't need or want the pressure and responsibility of becoming a leader.  And while I think it's absolutely great, amazing, fantastic, that nurses have the opportunity to become leaders, and that the future of nursing is encouraging nurses to seek out leadership, it's not something I personally want.

Educate the public about the value of nursing.

Hey!  We finally found a goal I 100% agree with!  A success!  

No, but in all seriousness, I think this is a great goal.  I think that there are many people in the community who underestimate the value and the skill of nurses.  Nursing is hard.  If it were easy, we wouldn't have a nursing shortage right now.  But its not easy, and I don't think people realize that, and so they often take nurses for granted.

I think that part of the reason nurses are taken for granted is the way nurses are viewed in our society.  There are plenty of medical (drama) TV shows out there in the world, but they often focus on physicians, or portray hospitals as massive mixing pots for drama (looking at you Grey's Anatomy).  Also, just take a look at Halloween costumes.  Sexy nurse costumes can portray the nursing profession as a joke.  Nurses are not just pretty faces and hot bodies, and I think sometimes that is missed because of the way society, and especially the media, tends to portray nurses.

Overall, this week was very interesting to think about.  I'm not sure I had really spent a lot of time considering the future of nursing, beyond that it is growing a lot right now and that it will continue to grow.  I know there is a big focus on expanding diversity of nurses right now as well, and I would love to see that reflected in the students in nursing school.  I, personally, don't see the lack of diversity as being an issue of discrimination, but rather an issue of lack of interest.  I also think that in terms of the gender bias, we have fewer male nurses because it seems that men will use nursing as a jumping off point for things like NP or CRNA.  Of the guys in my graduating nursing class (all 10 of them), more than half of them wanted to go on to do something else.  Whereas of the 40 girls, maybe 7 of them wanted to continue on with their education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Journal - Week 12

This week we talked a lot about conflict resolution.   One of our assignments was to watch the 2006 movie The Guardian , starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.  Honestly?  I didn't know I would ever have so many feelings about the U.S. Coast Guard.  This movie was very powerful, and I'm glad we were required to watch it this week.  I had honestly never heard of it, and I knew nothing about it. There were several different types of conflict in this film, and it was good to be able to look at all the different types, as well as how the characters attempted to resolve them. One of the most ineffective types of conflict resolution that we were able to observe was the conflict shown between the Coast Guard and the Navy.  In the film, two of the characters go to a predominantly "Navy" bar.  One of the characters, Billy, gets drunk and starts boasting about how great the Coast Guard is and how much the Navy needs them.  Now obviously, the Na...

Reflective Journal - Week 6

This week was tough for me.  I felt like there were so many things that were all due at once, and it was pretty overwhelming.  I'm not sure my learning this week was effective as it could have been.  Mostly I was just doing the assignments to get them done, rather than making an effort to learn anything. XXXXX Our team activities this week were to come up with interview questions about firing and discipline, as well as two discussions on ethics. Ethics are not my favorite (neither is philosophy).  There are no concrete answers.  It's hard to determine what is right and what is wrong, and sometimes there isn't a right answer. For example, one of the discussions this week presented this case study: A 17-year-old female presented to an emergency department (ED) with a Chief Complaint of fatigue and general malaise. The day prior she had been seen in a local family practice clinic and started on oseltamivir for presumed influenza. In the ED, he...

Reflective Journal - Week 15

This week we covered risk management and legal responsibilities of the nurse leader.  Honestly, this is one of the parts of being a nurse leader that terrifies me the most.  I don't want to have to make these kinds of difficult decisions regarding risk management, and legal stuff is so far from my thing, it's actually kind of funny to imagine myself dealing with much of it. For our discussion this week, we were given this case study (modified from Nurses Service Organization (NSO)): A 27 year old male patient was brought to the emergency department (ED) by paramedics.  The patient was intoxicated, agitated, and aggressive.  The patient was a frequent flyer in the ED.  The patient's behavior limited the RN and ED staff from completing a comprehensive initial assessment.  For the patient's safety, four point physical restraints were ordered by the ED physician.  The RN requested that ED security apply the restraints, in accordance with hospital polic...