Skip to main content

Reflective Journal - Week 7

This week, we talked about budgeting.  It was not my favorite week...  It's horrible, but I get so bored talking about money and finances.  My financial lit class in high school is one of my worst high school memories, no joke.

Overall, I'm glad that we talked about this, because I know that budgeting IS an important part of leadership, but man, if it isn't one of the things that drives me away from leadership, I don't know what is.

For one of our assignments this week, we had to look at a Med/Surg budget and decide what areas we could make cuts to:
The hospital administration has called you (as a nurse leader) to the boardroom for a sensitive meeting. The hospital has not met budget for the 3rd month in a row. Potential layoff are discussed, as well as possible closure of departments and services.
A bold department leader asks, how much the hospital is behind in revenue. The answer is 10%. The same leader asks the administration to allow each department to determine how to cut 10% of their department's annual budget, instead of arbitrary cuts by administration. The administration agrees, and hands out a copy to you of your monthly department budget.
You will review the Med/Surg Budget.pdf and determine how to cut the monthly budget by 10% ($14,550.00) from the Medical/Surgical Department annual budget. Show as a summary the exact amount you will cut.

This assignment was basically my worst nightmare.  I do not want to be given a budget and told that I have to make cuts or we will have to make layoffs or close departments and services.  Maybe I'm just too tender-hearted to be a leader.

Anyway, the way I chose to approach the assignment was to look at areas that had a significant difference between what was budgeted and what was spent (mostly those that were spending significantly under their given budget).  In the end, it wasn't too terrible, but I'm not sure if the cuts I made were effective or if they would even end up reducing the budget.  I don't feel qualified to deal with budgets.

Our team assignment for this week was to share with our team members where we chose to make our budget cuts and why.  I'm glad we did this because it gave me an opportunity to see what my other team members thought and how they chose to make their budget cuts.  Some of them were fairly similar to mine, but one team member actually looked at areas where they were over budget and made suggestions to reduce spending in those areas.  Which was a different way of looking at it, and challenged my thinking a little bit.


XXXXX

As it turned out, this week wasn't too bad.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this journal, it wasn't my favorite because budgeting is the bane of my existence, but I do feel like in this class I have been learning more about what leaders actually have to deal with.  Sometimes it's difficult topics, like making the decision to terminate someone, and sometimes it's boring stuff like looking at budgets and making cuts.  I don't know, I'm sure some people like it.  Let's just say there's a reason I didn't go into accounting and leave it at that, haha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Journal - Week 12

This week we talked a lot about conflict resolution.   One of our assignments was to watch the 2006 movie The Guardian , starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.  Honestly?  I didn't know I would ever have so many feelings about the U.S. Coast Guard.  This movie was very powerful, and I'm glad we were required to watch it this week.  I had honestly never heard of it, and I knew nothing about it. There were several different types of conflict in this film, and it was good to be able to look at all the different types, as well as how the characters attempted to resolve them. One of the most ineffective types of conflict resolution that we were able to observe was the conflict shown between the Coast Guard and the Navy.  In the film, two of the characters go to a predominantly "Navy" bar.  One of the characters, Billy, gets drunk and starts boasting about how great the Coast Guard is and how much the Navy needs them.  Now obviously, the Na...

Reflective Journal - Week 6

This week was tough for me.  I felt like there were so many things that were all due at once, and it was pretty overwhelming.  I'm not sure my learning this week was effective as it could have been.  Mostly I was just doing the assignments to get them done, rather than making an effort to learn anything. XXXXX Our team activities this week were to come up with interview questions about firing and discipline, as well as two discussions on ethics. Ethics are not my favorite (neither is philosophy).  There are no concrete answers.  It's hard to determine what is right and what is wrong, and sometimes there isn't a right answer. For example, one of the discussions this week presented this case study: A 17-year-old female presented to an emergency department (ED) with a Chief Complaint of fatigue and general malaise. The day prior she had been seen in a local family practice clinic and started on oseltamivir for presumed influenza. In the ED, he...

Reflective Journal - Week 15

This week we covered risk management and legal responsibilities of the nurse leader.  Honestly, this is one of the parts of being a nurse leader that terrifies me the most.  I don't want to have to make these kinds of difficult decisions regarding risk management, and legal stuff is so far from my thing, it's actually kind of funny to imagine myself dealing with much of it. For our discussion this week, we were given this case study (modified from Nurses Service Organization (NSO)): A 27 year old male patient was brought to the emergency department (ED) by paramedics.  The patient was intoxicated, agitated, and aggressive.  The patient was a frequent flyer in the ED.  The patient's behavior limited the RN and ED staff from completing a comprehensive initial assessment.  For the patient's safety, four point physical restraints were ordered by the ED physician.  The RN requested that ED security apply the restraints, in accordance with hospital polic...