Skip to main content

Reflective Journal - Week 4

This week we got an even more in depth look at what goes on on the interviewer side of the table.  

We used the interview questions that our team came up with last week to conduct an interview with someone (outside of healthcare) who is responsible for hiring new employees.  This interview was a pretty interesting experience because it gave me a different perspective on what kinds of things interviewers are looking for.  I knew that things like appearance and personality are important, but I don't think I had ever spent much time thinking about immediate disqualifiers.  Sure, I could come up with a few, but whenever we talk about preparing for interviews, I feel like we talk more about what you should do, than what you shouldn't do or say.

Our group activity for this week was to write a 12-15 page paper on activities that would create an online or virtual team building experience in which leadership, compromise, communication, and followership would be demonstrated, as well as how the activity would occur to be beneficial.  I wouldn't say I necessarily liked or enjoyed the activity.  Many of the activities seemed pretty simple and it was difficult to fill the page requirement.  It was also difficult to find 5 sources to cite, since most of these games/activities were alterations of games we've all played a hundred times.  Admittedly, some of the activities did require some explanation as to how they would actually work in an online environment.  It was actually an interesting activity, since we did have to make some alterations, and I really do think some of the activities would be really fun.

Some of the activities that we outlined were

  • Two Truths and a Lie
  • Rabbit (an online video sharing app)
  • Get-to-Know-You, Internet Edition
  • Virtual Charades
  • Heads Up (another mobile app game)
  • a FaceTime/Skype Show and Tell activity
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • Weekly Discussions with Get-to-Know-You questions
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Introduce a Friend
From:  Home, Hugs, and Huskies (https://homehugshuskies.wordpress.com/2016/12/05/getting-to-know-your-child-or-stepchild-questionnaire-free-printable/)

I have honestly never had an online class where we actually had to get to know each other, so this was a very interesting idea.  Usually with online classes I couldn't even name one person in the class, even if we have discussions every week.  Online classes just don't have that personal connection aspect, making it very easy to detach from the people in the class, as well as the material.  

I actually haven't minded working with a team for this class.  One thing I have noticed is that in nursing school, most all of us are the overachievers who actually work hard for our grades, so when we do group work, no one is slacking.  We all put in work because we all want to get a good grade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Journal - Week 12

This week we talked a lot about conflict resolution.   One of our assignments was to watch the 2006 movie The Guardian , starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.  Honestly?  I didn't know I would ever have so many feelings about the U.S. Coast Guard.  This movie was very powerful, and I'm glad we were required to watch it this week.  I had honestly never heard of it, and I knew nothing about it. There were several different types of conflict in this film, and it was good to be able to look at all the different types, as well as how the characters attempted to resolve them. One of the most ineffective types of conflict resolution that we were able to observe was the conflict shown between the Coast Guard and the Navy.  In the film, two of the characters go to a predominantly "Navy" bar.  One of the characters, Billy, gets drunk and starts boasting about how great the Coast Guard is and how much the Navy needs them.  Now obviously, the Na...

Reflective Journal - Week 6

This week was tough for me.  I felt like there were so many things that were all due at once, and it was pretty overwhelming.  I'm not sure my learning this week was effective as it could have been.  Mostly I was just doing the assignments to get them done, rather than making an effort to learn anything. XXXXX Our team activities this week were to come up with interview questions about firing and discipline, as well as two discussions on ethics. Ethics are not my favorite (neither is philosophy).  There are no concrete answers.  It's hard to determine what is right and what is wrong, and sometimes there isn't a right answer. For example, one of the discussions this week presented this case study: A 17-year-old female presented to an emergency department (ED) with a Chief Complaint of fatigue and general malaise. The day prior she had been seen in a local family practice clinic and started on oseltamivir for presumed influenza. In the ED, he...

Reflective Journal - Week 15

This week we covered risk management and legal responsibilities of the nurse leader.  Honestly, this is one of the parts of being a nurse leader that terrifies me the most.  I don't want to have to make these kinds of difficult decisions regarding risk management, and legal stuff is so far from my thing, it's actually kind of funny to imagine myself dealing with much of it. For our discussion this week, we were given this case study (modified from Nurses Service Organization (NSO)): A 27 year old male patient was brought to the emergency department (ED) by paramedics.  The patient was intoxicated, agitated, and aggressive.  The patient was a frequent flyer in the ED.  The patient's behavior limited the RN and ED staff from completing a comprehensive initial assessment.  For the patient's safety, four point physical restraints were ordered by the ED physician.  The RN requested that ED security apply the restraints, in accordance with hospital polic...