Skip to main content

Reflective Journal - Week 2

This week we discussed what a leader is, and what qualities make effective leaders.  It was interesting because I had never really sat down and determined what a leader was.  I think we often think of leaders as people who literally lead a group of people.

But a leader is a person who leads, commands, or inspires a group, organization, or country.


Obviously, it makes sense that a leader would also be someone who inspires a group of people.  Those are the leaders who are absolutely leading by example.  They may not be traditionally leading someone or running a country, but are leaders simply by being innovators in their field.

We had a really interesting team activity this week where this concept of what a leader is really came into play.  We were given this this list of leaders and told to come to a consensus as a team about which of these people were leaders and why.

MohamedAbe LincolnBuddhaJim JonesFlorence Nightingale
MosesAlbert EinsteinSolomonHitlerOscar Pistorius
Martin Luther King Jr.Franklin D. RooseveltJohn F. KennedyHenry FordRosa Parks
Oprah WinfreyThomas JeffersonLee IacoccaDahlia LamaNeil Armstrong
Ronald ReaganRobert Baden-PowellTony RomoAlbert SchweitzerFlorence Griffith Joyner

As our team began to look at the legacies of some of these people, we realized some of them had done some pretty awful things, including genocide and murder.  And yet, we also concluded that all of these people were leaders.  We realized that being a "good" person is not a requirement for being a "good" leader.  Hitler was an effective leader, and yet he committed mass genocide against Jews and other groups of people who did not meet his standards of the perfect race, including homosexuals.
We also looked at characteristics of good leaders.
I've always known that I wanted to be a good leader, but this week really helped to to outline what a good leader is.  Sure, before I could say "oh yeah, X is a good leader," but could I really define why?  I'm not sure I could have.  
I think that after completing the activities for this week, I look at leaders through a different lens.  A leader is not just someone who is in charge.  A leader is not just a manager.
A leader is someone who inspires others.  A leader is someone who builds up their team and truly cares about each team member.  A leader is someone who directs and guides their team towards a common goal.

We were also able to watch the movie Ender's Game this week, which I think highlights some great examples of effective leadership, as well as "good" leadership.  I wasn't surprised to discover that the book the film was based on is listed as recommended reading for many branches of the United States Armed Forces.
One lesson that seems to be popular from the book/movie is that the "enemy's gate is down."
In this situation, Ender's adaptability was what made him a good leader.  He was able to adapt to situations that often stumped the other kids.  Here, Ender notices that when placed in zero gravity, many of the kids still act as though gravity exists--as though up and down are still relevant and must be obeyed.  However, Ender reorients himself to ignore what should be "up" or should be "down," and rather chooses his own points to orient himself.

"It was impossible to tell, looking at the perfectly square doors, which way had been up.  And it didn't matter.  For now Ender had found the orientation that made sense.  The enemy's gate was down.  The object of the game was to fall toward the enemy's home."


As a leader, it will be important for me to be able to adapt to the whatever situation may arise.  Sometimes, you have to look at things a different way.  You have to set aside what you previously thought (what if up isn't really up?), or were conditioned to think, and consider the problem from another angle.  Perhaps down isn't down.  Perhaps the enemy's gate is down.  Perhaps I was looking at this the wrong way, and there is a solution that wasn't obvious to me before.

Another thing that came from this movie was the idea of being a compassionate and trusting leader.  If you don't have compassion for those you lead, or you don't trust them to complete their achievements, you won't be a very effective leader.  You have to build relationships with those you lead and make an effort to show them that you respect them as a person.


The material this week was honestly quite enjoyable for me.  It challenged me to think about leadership in a way that I had never really bothered to think of leadership before, and really cemented the type of leader I want to be.

I want to be an effective leader, but I also want to be a good leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Journal - Week 12

This week we talked a lot about conflict resolution.   One of our assignments was to watch the 2006 movie The Guardian , starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.  Honestly?  I didn't know I would ever have so many feelings about the U.S. Coast Guard.  This movie was very powerful, and I'm glad we were required to watch it this week.  I had honestly never heard of it, and I knew nothing about it. There were several different types of conflict in this film, and it was good to be able to look at all the different types, as well as how the characters attempted to resolve them. One of the most ineffective types of conflict resolution that we were able to observe was the conflict shown between the Coast Guard and the Navy.  In the film, two of the characters go to a predominantly "Navy" bar.  One of the characters, Billy, gets drunk and starts boasting about how great the Coast Guard is and how much the Navy needs them.  Now obviously, the Na...

Reflective Journal - Week 6

This week was tough for me.  I felt like there were so many things that were all due at once, and it was pretty overwhelming.  I'm not sure my learning this week was effective as it could have been.  Mostly I was just doing the assignments to get them done, rather than making an effort to learn anything. XXXXX Our team activities this week were to come up with interview questions about firing and discipline, as well as two discussions on ethics. Ethics are not my favorite (neither is philosophy).  There are no concrete answers.  It's hard to determine what is right and what is wrong, and sometimes there isn't a right answer. For example, one of the discussions this week presented this case study: A 17-year-old female presented to an emergency department (ED) with a Chief Complaint of fatigue and general malaise. The day prior she had been seen in a local family practice clinic and started on oseltamivir for presumed influenza. In the ED, he...

Reflective Journal - Week 15

This week we covered risk management and legal responsibilities of the nurse leader.  Honestly, this is one of the parts of being a nurse leader that terrifies me the most.  I don't want to have to make these kinds of difficult decisions regarding risk management, and legal stuff is so far from my thing, it's actually kind of funny to imagine myself dealing with much of it. For our discussion this week, we were given this case study (modified from Nurses Service Organization (NSO)): A 27 year old male patient was brought to the emergency department (ED) by paramedics.  The patient was intoxicated, agitated, and aggressive.  The patient was a frequent flyer in the ED.  The patient's behavior limited the RN and ED staff from completing a comprehensive initial assessment.  For the patient's safety, four point physical restraints were ordered by the ED physician.  The RN requested that ED security apply the restraints, in accordance with hospital polic...